A Tidy Town
Current Garbage Bylaws:
Bylaw No. 1487 - Garbage Rates and Regulations
Responsibilities of Residents
- Use your garbage cart for waste such as kitchen scraps, floor sweepings, etc.
- Ensure the lid is securely closed on collection day or it will not be collected
- Keep the interior of your cart clean by bagging your garbage
- During the winter months, please place your cart slightly away from the curb, in line with your driveway, away from the snow banks.
- Please DO NOT use for yard waste or recyclables
- Please DO NOT remove the cart from your address if you move - each cart remains the property of the District of Mackenzie and has a serial number associated with each residence
Do NOT overfill bins and make sure lids are completely closed. Overloaded bins will not be emptied.
Bi-Weekly Garbage Pick-Up
Residents may choose to have their garbage picked-up on a bi-weekly basis. Changes to service can only be made once for the following year. Residents who wish to sign-up for or cancel the bi-weekly service can do so by submitting a change request form before December 1st. Completed forms can be emailed to Pat or dropped off at the District Office, 1 Mackenzie Blvd., Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm or in the after-hours drop box.
Once you have chosen a service option, it remains in place unless a change form is submitted.
Request for Waste Collection Services Change Form
The residential waste service charges for 2022 will be:
- Weekly Pick-up: $175.32
- Bi-Weekly Pick-up: $148.44
Service charges are billed on your Annual Property Tax Notice. A 10% late penalty will be applied to any outstanding amount after the tax due date on the annual property tax billing notice for single-family and two-family dwellings. Other consumers whose payment is received 42 days after the billing date will receive a 10% penalty.
The fees are established under Garbage Rates and Regulations Bylaw No. 1487, 2022 and subject to change as the bylaw is amended.
Let us know through our online Report a Problem form, or contact us directly at 250-997-3761.
10 Cicada Road
1 Mackenzie Blvd
Yard & Garden Waste
All yard, garden, and construction waste must be taken to the Mackenzie Regional Transfer Station. Please do not include grass, leaves, trees, hedge clippings, construction waste, paint cans, or other volatiles and appliances in your residential or commercial garbage bins.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please contact the Public Works Department at 250-997-3761 to arrange bulk bin pick-up or to discuss your current bulk container service. Containers are supplied by the District and range in size from 2 cubic yards to 4 cubic yards. Pick-ups monthly rates are determined by the number of bins and the number of pick-ups per week. Fees are outlined in the following tables.
Full Details: Bylaw No. 1487, 2022
Bulk Containers Monthly Rates
MODERNIZING MACKENZIE'S WASTE DISPOSAL
The District's new garbage truck has an automated side-arm that can pick up the garbage bins rather than our operators manually lifting bins into the truck. All residents will be provided with a new standard size garbage bin that will complement the truck.
WHY THE CHANGE?
Our current garbage truck needed to be replaced and as we knew this day would come, the District has been saving for the last few years for a new piece of machinery. Council and staff felt this may be our opportunity to explore a more modern automated garbage pick-up system that would not only meet the current needs of residents, but also encourage the reduction of household waste, be safer for our operators, as well as be more cost-effective for the District and taxpayers.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Here are the reasons we are changing the way we collect garbage:
- Increased safety for our operators
- We can collect garbage faster
- More effective use of resources
- To encourage everyone to reduce waste and reduce the amount of garbage we put in the landfill/transfer station