When the unthinkable happens
Accidents happen. If you have an environmental emergency, or think you've spotted one, it's important to notify the appropriate responders as quickly as possible.
In the Province of British Columbia, reporting spills and environmental emergencies falls under the BC Environmental Management Act. "A person in possession, charge or control of a substance is required by law to report the spill (or pending spill)."
Report an Environmental Emergency or Spill
Call 1-800-663-3456 or use the button below to report it electronically.
Report a Poacher
Call 1-877-952-7277 or use the button below to use the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) online form.
Information to Provide when Reporting a Spill
When reporting a spill, provide the dispatcher with as much of the following as possible:
- The contact information for the individual making the report, the responsible person in relation to the spill, and the owner of the substance spilled.
- The date and time of the spill
- The location of the spill site
- A description of the spill site and the surrounding area
- A description of the source of the spill
- The type and quantity of the substance spilled
- A description of the circumstances, cause and adverse effects of the spill
- Details of action taken or proposed to comply with Section 91.2 (2) of the Act Responsible Persons - spill response fact sheet (PDF)
- The names of the government, federal government, local government and first nation government agencies at the spill site.
- The names of other persons or government, federal government, local government or first nation government agencies advised about the spill.
IN ADDITION, for spills and/or environmental emergencies in Mackenzie, please notify District of Mackenzie Public Works at 250-997-3761 (Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm). After hours, including weekends and holidays, please call the emergency service at 250-997-7438.