On May 9, 2019 at the North Central Local Government Association (NCLGA) Convention in Williams Lake, BC, they announced the results of the NCLGA Community Leadership Awards. NCLGA describes these awards as an opportunity for Northerners to share best practices, to get others thinking outside the box, and to promote knowledge sharing amongst our members. In accordance with their principal function of promoting the environmental, social and economic wellbeing of Northern communities, the NCLGA has created awards to showcase a community in each of these categories:
- Environmental Sustainability
- Social Responsibility
- Economic Development
The District of Mackenzie was successful in receiving an award for Environmental Sustainability for the work completed to revitalize the centrally located brownfield site into our new Community Market Park located along Mackenzie Blvd.!
We are honored to have been selected and would like to thank the following dedicated groups and individuals that were involved in completing this exciting project:
- The Mackenzie Community Market
- Ken Gawryluk, who managed the project on behalf of the District
- Our Public Works & Parks staff who did an outstanding job on the project
- Jim Bellavance of Cordwood Industries, who worked closely with Ken and our team to ensure the successful completion of our new community market and gathering place
- The Regional District of Fraser Fort George for donating compost soil for the gardens and landscaping
- Sonic Concrete & SDL Electrical for donating supplies and time to the project
In addition, we would like to thank the Northern Development Initiative Trust for generously supporting this project with a grant of $30,000. Northern Development has been a very valuable partner for the District of Mackenzie and have assisted the District and not-for-profit groups by supporting 39 projects in Mackenzie over the last two years.
Thank you again to NCLGA and to everyone for their dedication and hard work to create this beautiful new space for residents and visitors to enjoy.