We are All In this Together
The District of Mackenzie is closely monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation in British Columbia. The health and safety of the public and District staff is our top priority. The District continues to work with internal and external partners, including the Province of BC, the BC Centre for Disease Control, and Northern Health on a proactive approach to deal with COVID-19. We will adjust our response based upon advice from public health officials.
In the words of Dr. Bonnie Henry - "This is our time to be kind, to be calm, and to be safe.”
What is the District doing
- The District of Mackenzie has established a COVID-19 Emergency Response Plan
- Adopted COVID-19 Safe Work Policy 1.21
- Closing or limiting traffic in public facilities following the Provincial Government's recommendation to cancel all gatherings of 50 or more people.
- Maintaining open communication with our internal and external partners across the Province, as well as with local residents and businesses.
- Ensuring the public can access District services via phone, email, online form, or appointment if necessary.
- Increasing cleaning protocols at all public facilities.
- Placing signs throughout venues reminding everyone to follow safe hygiene practices.
- Ensuring business critical staff have the right tools should they need to work from home.
- District employees are being asked to stay home if feeling unwell.
- District employees who have traveled outside of Canada are on a mandatory self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
Facility Operations Status
The District has re-opened several facilities, however some will continue to offer services via phone, email, or where necessary, by appointment until further notice:
- District of Mackenzie Office - OPEN
- Mackenzie Recreation Centre
- Fitness Centre - OPEN - Book appointments by calling 250-997-5238
- Pool - CLOSED
- Arena - CLOSED
- Reception - OPEN
- Little Mac Ski Hill - CLOSED
- Ernie Bodin Community Centre - Partially Closed
- Mackenzie Community Arts Centre - OPEN
- Mackenzie and District Museum - OPEN
- All other access closed
- Emergency Services Building (for emergencies call 9-1-1) - CLOSED
- Public Works - OPEN
- Bylaw Enforcement & Animal Control - OPEN
Continued Service Delivery
The District will continue to provide many of our services to the public including garbage pick-up and street maintenance during this time. However, other services will only be available via phone, email, or for urgent matters that require in-person attendance, by booking an appointment.
Contact information and hours of operation for each department can be found below:
The District will continue to host regular Council Meetings, however measures will be taken to accommodate social distancing. If you feel unwell or have been in contact with others who have been unwell, we do ask that your refrain from attending. Please view our Council Meeting Calendar for upcoming meeting dates.
Additionally, a copy of Council Highlights will be posted online and sent in the mail for residents following each meeting.
Financial Services - Payment Options
Alternative payment methods to in-person options are available to residents, however appointments can be made if necessary to assist those unable to access mail-in/drop box or online options.
Resources for Everyone
Please visit the following agencies websites for the most recent updates regarding the outbreak and factual information about COVID-19:
The BCCDC has developed a COVID-19 webpage with resources for residents and businesses. They have also developed the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool to help determine if you need further assessment or testing for COVID-19. You can complete this assessment for yourself, or on behalf of someone else, if they are unable to.
Northern Health has launched a COVID-19 Online Clinic and Information Line to help answer questions and concerns from Northern B.C. residents. The NH COVID-19 Online Clinic and Information Line can be reached at 1-844-645-7811.
Resources for Business
Please visit the following agencies' websites for the most recent COVID-19 business support information:
- Government of Canada - COVID-19 Resources
- Province of BC - Employer Resources
- Employers & Business - BC Centre for Disease Control
- Worksafe BC - COVID-19 and the Workplace
- Small Business BC
- Northern Development Initiative Trust
- Community Futures Fraser-Fort George
- Northern BC Tourism Association
- Tourism Industry Association of BC