We are All In this Together
The District of Mackenzie is closely monitoring the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation in British Columbia. The health and safety of the public and District staff is our top priority. The District continues to work with internal and external partners, including the Province of BC, the BC Centre for Disease Control, and Northern Health on a proactive approach to deal with COVID-19. We will adjust our response based upon advice from public health officials.
In the words of Dr. Bonnie Henry - "This is our time to be kind, to be calm, and to be safe.”
What is the District doing
- The District of Mackenzie has established a COVID-19 Emergency Response Plan
- Established a Recreation Services COVID-19 Exposure Control Safety Plan (June 2020)
- Adopted COVID-19 Safe Work Policy 1.21
- Closing or limiting traffic in public facilities following the Provincial Government's recommendation to cancel all gatherings of 50 or more people.
- Providing hand sanitizing stations at all public facilities.
- Recommending masks be worn indoors when visiting public facilities.
- Maintaining open communication with our internal and external partners across the Province, as well as with local residents and businesses.
- Ensuring the public can access District services via phone, email, online form, or appointment if necessary.
- Increasing cleaning protocols at all public facilities.
- Placing signs throughout venues reminding everyone to follow safe hygiene practices.
- Ensuring business critical staff have the right tools should they need to work from home.
- District employees are being asked to stay home if feeling unwell.
- District employees will be wearing masks when visiting public indoor spaces.
- District employees who have traveled outside of Canada are on a mandatory self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
- All patrons must wear masks when visiting District facilities as per the direction of Dr. Bonnie Henry effective midnight, November 19, 2020.
Continued Service Delivery
The District will continue to provide many of our services to the public including garbage pick-up and street maintenance during this time. However, other services will only be available via phone, email, or for urgent matters that require in-person attendance, by booking an appointment.
Contact information and hours of operation for each department can be found below:
Council meetings continue to be closed to the public, due to the Provincial Health Order on Gatherings and Events. Residents are invited to join the meetings via Zoom or through phone. Please contact the District for meeting details by email or by phone 250-997-3221 by 4:00 pm on scheduled Council meeting dates. For the most current information on Public Health Orders, please visit www.gov.bc.ca.
Council agenda packages, minutes and highlights will continue to be available via the District website and portal page. The District will continue to distribute Council highlights in resident mailboxes following each meeting.
Please feel free to forward any questions regarding the agendas to Corporate Services.
Financial Services - Payment Options
Alternative payment methods to in-person options are available to residents, however appointments can be made if necessary to assist those unable to access mail-in/drop box or online options.
Resources for Everyone
Please visit the following agencies websites for the most recent updates regarding the outbreak and factual information about COVID-19:
The BCCDC has developed a COVID-19 webpage with resources for residents and businesses. They have also developed the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool to help determine if you need further assessment or testing for COVID-19. You can complete this assessment for yourself, or on behalf of someone else, if they are unable to.
Northern Health has launched a COVID-19 Online Clinic and Information Line to help answer questions and concerns from Northern B.C. residents. The NH COVID-19 Online Clinic and Information Line can be reached at 1-844-645-7811.
Resources for Business
Please visit the following agencies' websites for the most recent COVID-19 business support information:
- Government of Canada - COVID-19 Resources
- Province of BC - Employer Resources
- Employers & Business - BC Centre for Disease Control
- Worksafe BC - COVID-19 and the Workplace
- Small Business BC
- Northern Development Initiative Trust
- Community Futures Fraser-Fort George
- Northern BC Tourism Association
- Tourism Industry Association of BC