Building Permits & Inspection
The goal of building inspections are to ensure the health, safety and protection of persons and property by confirming that buildings and their systems generally conform to relevant bylaws, the BC Building Act and other applicable standards.
Building Inspection provides spot checks on the construction stages in accordance with the BC Building Act and building plans that have been submitted for a building or development permit.
The District of Mackenzie’s Building Inspector, located in the Public Works Building (behind the District Office), is available by appointment only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 8:30 am and 12:00 pm. To book an appointment or for inquiries please call 250-997-3761.
A building permit is written approval by the District that building plans meet the BC Building Act. A licensed Building Inspector inspects all building permits. You may need a building permit if you are:
- Building, adding to, or renovating a building;
- Demolishing a building;
- Changing the use or occupancy of a building;
- Installing a swimming pool or hot tub;
- Installing a wood burning fire place; or
- Building a deck that is 24 inches or higher above the ground.
Apply for a building permit at our office, 1 Mackenzie Blvd. All contractors must have or obtain a valid District of Mackenzie business license. For building code questions, please contact our Building Inspector at 250-997-3761.
You are required to have a valid development permit before you can apply for a building permit to construct a building or structure, or to apply for a business license. You may need a development permit if you are:
- Constructing a new building;
- Adding onto or renovating an existing building;
- Developing a subdivision;
- Require a variance in the current zoning of the property;
- Demolishing an existing building;
- Changing the use of a building;
- Putting up a sign; or
- Installing an in-ground swimming pool or hot tub.
Apply for a development permit at our office, 1 Mackenzie Blvd. If you have any questions, please contact the District at 250-997-3221. Application requirements are outlined within each category below.